Saturday, March 7, 2009

Sour Sdey!

Sour Sdey! (Hello! in Khmer... to make it easy, it sounds like 'Sauce a day' :)

I've successfully made it to Phnom Penh and have been here a little shy of 3 days now. Upon arrival, there were some definite first memories...
1. I've always wanted to be greeted at the airport with 'Faith' on a card. No, I didn't get exactly that, but did have a gentleman with 'VSO' awaiting my presence which was just as good, especially in a foreign land. He was so helpful with assisting me to get my visa and helping with my luggage. His smile when trying to speak/act things out with him is definitely unforgettable.
2. HOT HOT HOT!!! need I say more? Well, I know California is warm, and I was prepared for it to be humid, but it was so humid that you feel like you can barely breath at first. And also, you're immediately sticky. I'm not the biggest fan of sweating unless I'm working out, but to be honest, I just learned to accept the fact that I'm going to be sticky 24/7 and embraced it. Needless to say, I look really good all the time!!!

After making it to the VSO Program Office, I met the country director and a few other volunteers that just arrived, had lunch and then got settled into the guest house (Narin 2) about 1 kilometer away. I am sharing a room with the only other volunteer from USA, Golli (pronounced like a soccer 'goalie') who is from Chicago and I met during my last training session in Ottawa. It's a tiny room, but we don't need much since all we do is sleep in it. Actually I should say 'lay' in it and occasionally drift off because it is too hot to actually get good sleep. One big difference from home that I learned real quick is that instead of dragging myself out of my comfortable, warm and cozy bed in the mornings, I'm actually arising pretty quickly because I don't want to be lying there as it starts to get warmer. The last two days I've been up by 5am staring at the fan hoping it suddenly blows faster and reading up on Southeast Asia.

Yesterday we had the start of our in country training (ICT) with briefing sessions on safety and security in Cambodia and information about an around the city cyclo tour we'd be taking the next day (which was today). VSO hired a cyclo driver for all the volunteers which is a three-wheeled bicycle with a carriage in front for the rider (me) and the driver behind peddling away. We toured all of Phnom Penh getting to see some of the markets, Independence Monument, Royal Palace, Wat Phnom, the outside of the National Museum and much more. Needless to say, VSO did an amazing job setting up this tour around the capital of Cambodia. Pictures of the tour and me and my peddler soon to come! I have some hilarious and some scary videos going through intersections as well because there are absolutely NO rules on the road and everyone just 'goes'.

And here I am now. Tomorrow we have a free day, I plan on going to markets to browse and practice what I know of the language so far with the locals, locate some restaurants that give back to the community that I read about in a book my godmother gave me. Some take children off the streets and teach them skills to work in restaurants, some give back to orphanages, some to hospitals, etc. Also, I want to look for a good wireless Internet cafe where I can use my laptop to upload pictures for all to enjoy.

Wednesday I will be leaving Phnom Penh and heading to a small province for a 2 week language immersion class with the other new volunteers. After that, back to Phnom Penh to meet my new colleagues and search for a new place to call home until August. I'm assuming I won't have Internet access in the province, but you never know... so until then, enjoy and I look forward to writing my next blog in Khmer! ha!

Lea haeay! (Good bye!)

No comments: