Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Ponleu Sokhapheap

I started my placement at Ponleu Sokhapheap (PSP) on Monday and was thrilled when I arrived! I was greeted by a current VSO volunteer, Leonie who has worked with PSP for almost a year and a half to introduce me to my new colleagues and show me around the office. The first thing I noticed, it has A/C! But actually, it is kept at a nice level to where it's not too cold (more like a normal fan blowing) so it wont take away from adjusting to the sauna-like Cambodia climate. Everyone was very warm and welcoming with great smiles, introducing themselves and what there role was. The gentleman that I would be working with, Boran pulled up my chair, said "Hi, I Boran, you work with me" and sat me down at my new desk right next to him. Very comforting. Leonie then gave me an overview about the organization and her input of how things are run here. She is obviously loving it since she was supposed to be here for just one year and extended for another six months. One thing she pointed out was that work is not like home, very slow paced, sometimes things get done, sometimes not. People don't feel like they have to commit to time lines, meetings etc. The Executive Director, Dr. Lao Chantha is a very brilliant man. He has a lot of knowledge of the health sector in Cambodia and very hard working. He runs a great team here!

Today, Boran and I are attending and Expo put on by MEDiCAM which represents 120 NGO's collective voice of concerns, challenges, and recommendations for improving health in Cambodia. We have a booth, lots of give aways and will be a great experience for me to learn more about many health concerns here. Afterwards, there is a meeting with a panel of experts in the health sector and then dinner, music and entertainment. I am really looking forward to this event and hopefully getting more exposure for PSP and Health Messenger.

2 comments:

Craig McDonald said...

Dear Megs,
You seem to be adjusting well. Funny how just reading your few postings it does not appear the quality of life has improved much in 17 years. Hanging out with the many foreign nationals and expats will be the high point. Just don't meet anyone who sweeps you off your feet AND doesn't wnat to come back to SD to live. We'll miss you tomorrow at Teresa's big 50. Sure Tara will drink your share. If not some of the other 80 people will. Be safe and know you have friends who care even when you're far away.

Anonymous said...

Hi Megs,
It is so wonderful to follow the story of your experience. Would love to hear about the health expo. You will definitely be making a difference for the people of Cambodia. We miss you but know you are doing great things...You are always in our hearts!
Love Eileen
PS I agree, don't meet anyone that sweeps you off your feet!!