Monday, March 23, 2009

More at home...

I have received some email responses from my photos expressing that everything looks beautiful and clean, which is very true is some areas. Moment of truth though, I feel most comfortable taking photos of the touristy sites and cleaner areas rather than individuals sleeping on the pavement under a cloth they attach to a tree, children walking barefoot and shirtless trying to sell mango's, a mother nursing her nude baby as she's walking through the market, individuals of all ages without a limb because of landmine accidents, locals showering in public with a bucket of water and flies surrounding meat and fish as they are exposed to the beating sun waiting to be purchased at the market. I don't know if I will ever feel comfortable being the "American tourist" and whipping out my camera to expose the truly underdeveloped examples of Cambodia, but only time will tell.

Although this is reality here and so different from what I am used to, I am starting to feel more at home in Phnom Penh. I have to admit though, I've spoiled myself twice already. I've gone to a touristy resort which feels like you are in a jungle, to lay by the pool and eat delicious food. It's sort of an escape to relax from the heat as its getting warmer because April is the hottest month of the year. But I also use it as an excuse to Skype with family and friends since it’s free with the cost of membership (I spend only $5 each time I go which includes lunch, wifi and of course cooling off and relaxation). So it makes me feel a little better when "spoiling" myself.

This past weekend was very nice. Leonie, the other volunteer working with PSP invited me out with her girlfriends for dinner and a night out on the town. It was great to meet more individuals (most were volunteers from around the world) here in Phnom Penh. We enjoyed a delicious dinner at a tapas restaurant, Tamarind on the rooftop terrace, a glass of wine at Rubies, a corner wine bar and then the main event which was at Pontoon, a club on a boat on the Mekong River. The nightlife here goes until the wee hours of the morning, say 5ish, although I was already home by 2am!

The markets here are an experience all in its own. I’ve never been called 'madam' so many times in my life! “Madam you like? Madam you buy?” etc. Since you bargain for absolutely everything, I can only imagine how people can go through money so quickly with the mindset of ‘it’s so cheap I can't afford not to buy it’ as I’ve even thought that to myself a few times already. I am proud to say that I’ve held myself back many times from buying things that I really don't need here, at least till I head back to the states. I did however purchase 3 shirts for $4 today! The food section has its ups and downs as well. I was introduced to what Leonie calls her "noodle lady" to have a full plate noodles, vegetables and a fried egg on top for $1 and I've gone to her twice already. The area with raw food to buy and bring home I stay away from because of the foul smells and the flies as mentioned before. But spending a hour or so walking around the open markets really gets you a true feel for Cambodian culture and I'm absolutely loving every moment of it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey girly! So nice to hear that everything is going well. It brings back memories of europe when you explain the true reality of a third world country. It sounds like you are adjusting quite well though. What an experience! Keep writing bc i love hearing! PS...everything here is great. I got into law school! So when you get back i will be studying officially! (ill have time to attend a welcome back party though ;))

Christie Asselin, Esq. said...

Sounds like you are having an incredible experience out there Meghan! A little spa treatment to escape the heat - don't feel too bad about that ;)
- Christie Asselin