Friday, March 27, 2009

I have a home!

Yep, I finally have a place to call home! A great big covered patio, 1-bedroom, 1-bath, kitchen, living room and another room that I have no idea what I'm going to do with yet. I still have to get a few items to make it more "Meghan" but its just so nice to have the option of having a spot for things, cooking, and relaxing in my own place. Although my landlords don't speak a lick of English, and my Khmer is minimal, I feel that we've already built a good bond. We exchange hellos, how are yous, goodbyes (in Khmer) and I also have been improving my acting tremendously, which usually gets a good laugh from them and me. They have two young boys, 7 and 4 who are absolutely adorable. Yesterday alone when I was leaving for the yoga cruise, they were playing "swords". I grabbed my water bottle and joined it. They got a kick out of fake stabbing me which of course I would in turn play dead. I'm looking forward to being silly with them these next few months!

As for work, after learning about the organization and observing my colleagues for the past 2 weeks, I met with the Executive Director and explained to him the ideas and goals I have for the duration of my placement. He seemed very receptive and liked all that I presented. The end of the week I started working directly with Boran on basic things like managing a database, effective business communication and strategizing, which thanks to Randstad, I feel very confident with. We both know we have a long way to go, but he seems very eager to learn and improve his skills.

I'm in the process of planning a few trips. In April to Thailand and in May to Laos for one week each (if anyone has tips, definitely let m know!) Luckily for me, I came to Cambodia at a great time as many national holidays (more like holiweeks) are approaching and my company takes every single one of them! I've never had that before and will gladly take advantage since my time is so short. I can't wait for my visitors from home too (you know who you are :) I already know that 5 months is going to fly by so fast. I can't believe its already been almost one month so I'm trying to stay as busy and as active as possible to soak it all in!

No comments: