Friday, August 14, 2009

It's not goodbye...

Six short months has come and gone. For me they flew by, but for those at home it drug on and on. I can't believe its that time to pack my things and say farewell to my home in Phnom Penh. I've learned so much about the Cambodian culture, life and especially myself. It amazes me that that people here live some of the happiest lives I've ever seen, with nothing. I keep telling my coworkers that it's not goodbye, its see you later. I will be back someday and I look forward to see what changes have been made to Cambodia and PSP.

Things I will miss
-Priceless Cambodian smiles - absolutely the best!
-Fruit Fruit Fruit, especially Mangostienes!
-The first place I've lived on my own
-Olympic Stadium and EVERYTHING about it - the energy of individuals in dozens of different dance classes, their own random (and quite humorous) exercise, Khmer music, volleyball, the same handicapped man that gives me the biggest smile every time I run by him, and so much more.
-The smell of meat on the barbecue first thing in the morning - although I never ate it
-Khmer Boxing
-Yoga on the patio
-My little Cambodian brothers that live downstairs!
-My bicycle as my mode of transportation
-The noodle lady, who just so happens to also make the best iced coffee in the world!
-Bargaining for clothes, food, transportation and everything else!
-Tuk Tuks
-Russian Market
-Beer Lao on ice
-Fish Amok at House #11
-The generosity and happiness of the Cambodian culture...

Things I won't miss
-The smell of the open bubbling sewage pond I pass every time I go to Olympic Stadium, and the sadness I feel when I see the same 3 children that eat, sleep and play next to it barefoot and barely clothed.
-Bug spray as my signature scent
-The eerie feeling I get when walking by Toul Sleng
-Getting bit by mosquito's everyday sitting at my desk at work.

It is so bittersweet to say farewell to my life in Cambodia. As sad as I am go leave, I am also looking forward to seeing so many of you at home! I hope you've enjoyed following me on my journey as a volunteer in Cambodia... akun charan! leahye :)

No comments: