Sunday, July 19, 2009

July Visitors Part II – PP and Angkor WHAT???

Dad, Tara G. and I moved on to Cambodia! When we first arrived in my city PP, I remember both of them blown away by the differences between Thailand and Cambodia. Phnom Penh, the capital is even so much more underdeveloped than smaller towns we visited in Thailand. Trash on the not-so-much of a sidewalk, few driving laws (and the ones that exist aren’t even obeyed), pollution from the poorly maintained vehicles, people walking barefoot carrying baskets of food on their head, etc. are just a few of the examples. But one thing they also noticed quickly is that not only do these people live so poorly, they are also some of the happiest, most generous and patient people they've ever met.

The first full day in PP I arranged a cyclo tour so they were able to see the town in one of the many ways Cambodians get around. We visited many sights including the Royal Palace, National Museum, Wat Phnom, both Central and Russian Markets and also my coworkers at the office. I took them to my noodle lady in the market to have my usual, which the lady knows by heart :) Also consumed the best coffee in the world! No exaggeration, ask Tara! The rest of the time in PP we did a good amount of shopping, ate delicious food and had many tuk tuk rides around town. Words can’t express how much I enjoyed showing them around my city and loved having them there.

Next we were on to Siem Reap where we spent about a day and a half touring the famous Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom, my personal favorite Ta Prohm, and many others. It’s amazing that at one point this area was a hidden city but with an enormous population. The formations were stunning and unbelievable to walk through. We had more delicious food (have I mentioned that Khmer food in to die for?!?) spring roll, pumpkin and coconut curry, fish amok to wash down with ice cold Angkor drafts (yes, ice cubes in the beer glass!)

The day we headed back to Phnom Penh was my 26 birthday! A 6 hour bus ride wasn’t the most desirable way to start the day, but once we got there it was good fun. We headed to the Russian Market so for some last minute buys for Tara, and for Dad and I to keep filling up his suitcase! Headed to Olympic Stadium to show them where I spend time before and after work a few times a week and had some good laughs. Olympic Stadium is something you can’t describe but have to experience. Usually thousands of people partaking in dance or exercise classes, running around the track, playing futbol, tennis or volleyball, sitting around to catch up with friends or eating from street vendors. The most humorous part of my days is to watch some of the exercises individuals will do like walking backwards downhill, flicking their arms in the air, or moving their hips fast paced in a circular motion. Also, women exercising in pj’s, work attire or running in flip flops? Classic! Got some good videos!

Birthday dinner was at a restaurant that looked like it should be in New York on the riverside (which you couldn’t see because of construction and billboards taking over). It was a modern/posh setting that didn’t fit in with Cambodia, but the food and cocktails were still great!The next day was Tara’s last day :( We ran around doing last minute things before she had to pack up. Saying goodbye to her this time was much harder than when I originally left, not sure why, but everythings better with your best friend around!

The rest of the time my dad and I did more shopping at the market, returned to Olympic Stadium since it was better weather, ate more and more delicious food and also toured Toul Sleng Museum, S-21 prison during the Khmer Rouge which isn’t for the light hearted and in fact gut wrenching to learn everything that went on during that time. Before he left, I treated him to a 4-hands Khmer massage (2 ladies at once!) for father’s day since I wasn’t home for it. It was harder to say goodbye this time to him too! I think having a little piece from home when I’m away is the best gift! And I never wanted it to end. I enjoyed sharing my Asian life with friends and family, and looking forward to having my next two visitors at the end of my trip!

No comments: