Monday, June 1, 2009

Questions answered...

I've been getting similar questions via email so I thought to do a blog entry rather than send the same email to 15 different people! Here are some common answers to your questions...

Q: What do you miss the most?
A: Of course the obvious are the company of family and friends. But if we're talking about other stuff, it's the little things. The one that comes to mind most often is a freshly dried towel right out of the dryer! Hung dried, sand paper texture towels just don't do it for me. I miss the excitement of Diesel (my roomie's dog) when I get home from work, which also made me realize that I don't enjoy living by myself as much as I do with friends or a pet. I miss the smell of my favorite lotion, "Butt Naked" (I know, interesting name for a lotion) and if you know me well, you know the scent :) I miss wearing high heels and although many Cambodians and some expats wear high heels, I don't know how well I'd do riding a bike or walking far distances in them. I stick to sandals. I miss cozying up on the couch with sweatpants, a sweatshirt and maybe even a blanket. Here, I can't even comprehend the thought of putting layers on.

Q: What is the strangest thing you've done so far?
A: Maybe I haven't branched out enough, but last week my coworkers brought in a bag full of cooked crickets and with no hesitation, I tried them. Amazingly, they weren't bad thanks to the added salt and crunchy texture. Soon, I plan on trying the ever so popular tarantula! And don't worry, I'll take pictures!

Q: What has been your favorite place you've visited?
A: This question is too difficult as everywhere is so different, especially country by country and the purpose of my trip. In Vietnam, I loved Ho Chi Minh City for the shopping, Hanoi for the culture and Halong Bay for the relaxation. In Laos I loved Luang Prabang for the culture and beautiful waterfalls and Si Phan Don for the remote island getaway. In Cambodia, I loved my Kampot/Kep weekend riding moto's and touring the caves but of course am pretty biased with loving Phnom Penh because I've gotten to know it the most. All in all, I've enjoyed each place I've been for what I got out of it.

Q: What is your least favorite thing about Southeast Asia?
A: The bus rides. They are long and never on time. You can't really sleep on them because of the constant sound of the driver honking the horn at anything and everything in its way.

Q: What's your favorite Southeast Asian beer?
A: I'm more of a wine drinker but so far Beer Laos takes the cake in the brewski category. There are still many I haven't tried, I'll get workin' on it!

I think that about covers it! Let me know if I missed any questions!

No comments: