Thursday, May 21, 2009

Running in Phnom Penh

Well, I've finally adjusted enough to the climate in Phnom Penh and worked up the courage to go on a run yesterday. Let me start by saying that when I already felt I couldn't possible get stared at anymore that I already do just walking down the street (Cambodians don't walk, they ride moto's or take tuk tuk's/cyclo's, etc.), running was a whole new ballgame. I soon realized it probably wasn't a good idea. Maybe not culturally appropriate to run around the streets and decided to head to Olympic Stadium which is about half a mile from my house.

My colleagues have told me Olympic Stadium holds dance classes in the evenings and has food stalls and such, so I was excited to check it out. Little did I know EVERYONE and there mom was there. It was so fun to watch. There was probably close to 10,000 people in many different groups following instructors' dance routines, some running and walking around the track, hanging out by the bleachers or enjoying BBQ corn and other popular Khmer street food. The most hilarious "workouts" I saw were individuals standing in place and moving one or two limbs at a time in various rotations. It's difficult to describe so I'll have to take a video to share! Bordering the stadium there were even some make-shift soccer fields, volleyball and tennis courts where I noticed only men were playing. I just ran around the track for a while, sometimes stopping to pause my Ipod and listen to the cool beats everyone was dancing too. I definitely plan on taking some classes soon as it seems pretty fun. Maybe soon I'll work up the courage to ask some of the volleyball groups if ladies are allowed to play.

All in all, I was pretty impressed with the energy and feel of my surroundings at Olympic Stadium, and impressed I can even run for the amount of time I did in this humidity. I look forward to going back with a camera to capture it all!

No comments: