Friday, July 3, 2009

Times a tickin'

Well, it's coming down to the wire. I have a little shy of 2 months left in Southeast Asia and it honestly feels like I was just in Ottawa for VSO training!

It's been an interesting few weeks for my emotions. Recently my Executive Director asked if I could extend my placement with PSP another 6 months because of my "impressive support and guidance" (his words not mine :) the past few months and how the organization truly needs my help. I've been told that NGO's do this with their volunteers (the last volunteer at PSP extended her placement) sometimes giving a sad guilt trip. I actually got a bit teary eyed when explaining my situation to him; that I'm here on a business partnership which is different than regular volunteers who leave their job at home for a life changing experience, or volunteer for the sake of being out of a job, and that I have an obligation with my employer at home. Randstad has been such an amazing organization to work for, providing me with this opportunity and I don't think it would be fair to stay as they have been holding my seat open for my return. Also of course, with this economy, who knows what it would be like another 6 months from now trying to find a job in the states? I have family events, my best friends wedding which I'm the maid of honor for and of course, miss many people dearly. I want nothing more than to help PSP improve and grow, but when the time comes, I will have to say farewell.

After explaining to him that I needed to return home for thse various reasons, the workload came! He's now asked my assistance for monitoring and evaluation reporting, annual reports, recruiting for a newly open position, proposal writing and more. I am FINALLY busy most of the day and itonly started near the end of my assignment. I think he's realized he put all his eggs in one basket hoping I would stay and now that I can't, is stressing out a bit. I feel completely terrible about the situation and working as hard and fast as possible to get as much done in my final weeks as I can.

On the flip side, I am heading to see my first visitors in Southeast Asia today! My parents, best friend and close girlfriend all arrived in Bangkok a few days ago, and I will be meeting them to head to the Thailand islands for a week, and then bring them to Cambodia to show them my home. I couldn't be more excited to have a piece of home with me for a portion of my journey and during my birthday! I'm at the point where I don't even care where we go or what we do, just to sit in the airport and catch up would be fine by me! But, the added bonus of white sand beaches, elephant trekking, snorkeling, etc. sound appealing too!

With stressing about letting the Executive Director hear the words that heprayed not to and the excitement of seeing some that I love, its been an emotional roller coaster. I wish everyone a fun and safe 4th of July weekend!

Off to Thailand!

1 comment:

Craig McDonald said...

Dear Meghan, The challenges of obligations and desires never go away. But sounds like you handled it all very professionally and maturely. They have been blessed to have you there and you havebeen blessed with this opportunity. I am sure you and the gang are having a great time together. Did not know your birthday fell in this time but HAPPY BIRTHDAY. Have a fruity tropical something or Angor Beer on me. Take care an hurry home. Yours Craig