Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Bag Snatched in Cambodge...

It's a known fact that safety, security and theft are an issue in Cambodia. As cautious and aware you try to be, reality is that most of the time it is out of our control. As Khmer New Year is approaching (next week) these problems are heightened. Here, this holiday is like Christmas, birthdays and New Years all rolled into one. Most everyone gets 3-5 business days off and heads to their homeland province to spend time with family for reunions, gift exchanges, massive feasts and parties. I've been told that the few weeks leading up to this holiday are the most common time for getting things stolen as these people need money to purchase gifts, or items to give away. Just a few weeks ago, am American tourist was riding her bike with her purse around her body. A moto came up and grabbed her purse and ended up dragging her along to eventually take her life. Others have been stabbed (maybe by accident) from snatchers trying to cut the bag right off of them as they rode by. From these stories I decided that when riding my bike, I wouldn't keep my purse on me but in the bottom of my basket.

I was looking forward to this kickboxing class all day long. Its not like the kickboxing classes I take at home with choreographed routines, which of course is still a great workout. This class is circuit training kickboxing with gloves and no air conditioning or fans! 3 minutes on the punching bag and 1 minute off. 3 minutes running the stairs and 1 minute off. 3 minutes kicking the bag and 1 minute off. 3 minutes in the ring punching at the coach and minute off, over and over again. I've never sweat so hard in my life and I couldn't wait to go back! On my bike ride to class, which is about 25 minutes away, I was side swiped by a moto forcing me to put my feet down to break my fall. As I did, the passenger reached in to my basket to snatch my purse and sped off. I was initially in shock and screamed at them and then was so angry that I tried to pedal as fast as possible to catch up to them at the next intersection as it is a fairly crowded area. I soon realized that I didn't have a chance, I was lucky that I didn't get injured and who knew what they could have done to me even if I did. I lost my phone (which I just topped up adding $20 in overseas minutes), about $35 and a credit card which soon got cancelled by my amazing parents, my new purse and wallet and my VSO ID card. My keys were in there as well which was an interesting situation when I got back to my apartment trying to act out and explain the situation. The 7 year old boy was a lifesaver and able to translate the bits and pieces I couldn't express in Khmer. My landlords felt terrible for me and gave me a new set of keys right away and asked if I needed to eat anything for dinner thinking that I didn't have any money left. I thank my lucky stars that I had taken my camera out to charge for my trip to Vietnam and a few passports, mine and 2 of the girls traveling with me because I went to get all our visas just the day before. And of course no injuries.

I didn't sleep well last night and decided to treat myself to my first massage in Southeast Asia tonight to hopefully relieve some tension and help me relax. I plan on going to a shop before I leave for Vietnam that I heard sews basket covers with a zipper so I am able to safely keep my belongings and wont worry that someone could reach in and steal my bag so quickly again. I hope it will make me feel more at ease.

4 comments:

girl ford said...

oooohhh my megs! Glad that you are not hurt, but I can bet knowing you, you are probably still shook up. :( head up young person! love love!

Mindy said...

Hi Meghan,
It's Mindy Murphy, your dad's cousin in Phoenix. Your dad sent me the link to your blog! Congrats for doing such great work. Glad you are loving it and seeing so much of the country. I was there in 2001 with Operation Smile for 10 days and truly, it was the most abject poverty I've ever seen. Heard they have made great strides. Love,Mindy

Anonymous said...

Megs, I'm glad you are ok. I hope you enjoyed your well deserved massage! Happy Easter! Crystal

Craig McDonald said...

Dear Meghan,
First let me apologize for being so slow in reading your blog. As you know i find watching you doing what I did (sort of) in 92-93 absolutelt thrilling as i can picture the sights (parties and ceremonies), weather (thunderstorms and rocks on roof), and opportuntiy to meet others and travel fascinating.
I am glad you came away from what must have been terribly dangerous and embarassing monements unscathed. Its a heads up game there 24/7 and no one is above reproach. We look forward to seeing our Meghan back healthy and happy.
Enoy the moments in Vietnam and Laos. I never made it to the later as the security situatin and helo range would not allow it. You think Cambodia is poverty, i heard Laos was worse. Take good care and have one of those 5 star dinners at the Ritz hotel roof top restaurant when you're in Ho Chi Min City